I have worked across a wide variety of companies and industries:
Small Team Within Salesforce
2015 – Present
Director of Product Design
Startup (Acquired by Salesforce)
2013 – 2015
Lead UX Designer
Interactive Marketing Agency
2009 – 2013
Senior UX Strategist
Large Financial Company
2007 – 2009
My role revolves around several key responsibilities to lead our company’s design initiatives.
- Understanding our customer and championing their needs in product planning and decision making
- Connecting with business leaders and understanding how our business strategy impacts our design efforts
- Evaluating the impact changes have across the entire experience, and identifying areas of overlap across projects
- Ensuring cross-team collaboration and facilitating a creative partnership throughout the organization
- Framing problems and questions in new ways to encourage creative thinking
- Evolving and refining our product’s design language
- Creating and instilling design team principles to guide team collaboration
- Providing thought leadership through regular blog posts and knowledge sharing
Leadership and Management
I am focused on efforts to lead our design team’s growth and development:
- Hiring, motivating, and retaining design talent on our team
- Prioritizing and resourcing design efforts and balancing roadmap development with product iteration
- Leading through questions, as opposed to giving answers
- Optimizing designer velocity and skills by providing mentoring, training, and other learning opportunities
- Guiding, coaching, supporting, and challenging my team to do their best work
- Fostering both a comfortable and intense design environment to facilitate growth
- Helping the team learn from mistakes and failures, instead of dwelling on what went wrong
- Design, in the end, is about creating better things for people.
- It’s better to learn something new than to be right.
- User Experience should aim to both meet direct user needs and to surprise and delight users with solutions they didn’t even know they needed.
- Design is a competitive advantage and differentiator for businesses and should drive strategic decision making across an organization.
- Designers should not wall themselves off from the rest of the organization. Teamwork and collaboration of an entire product team makes great user experiences possible.